What You Need to Know Before Starting Famvir
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Famvir if you have:
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Very severe lactose intolerance
- Galactose intolerance
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Famvir and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Famvir and Breastfeeding).
You should also make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are currently taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Famvir Warnings and Precautions to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)
It is not known what symptoms to expect from an overdose. People who take too much acyclovir, a similar medication, may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- Kidney damage.
If you happen to overdose, seek medical attention immediately.
(Click Famvir Overdose for more information.)