Herpes Home > Valtrex Overdose
As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Valtrex. Overdose symptoms include a decrease in urine output, hallucinations, or aggressive behavior. The effects of the overdose can vary, depending on how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, or drugs. Treatment options for a Valtrex overdose include pumping the stomach or dialysis.
Valtrex Overdose: An OverviewValtrex® (valacyclovir hydrochloride) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat shingles, chickenpox, cold sores, and genital herpes. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Valtrex. The effects of a Valtrex overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Valtrex was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, or drugs.
- Kidney problems or kidney failure
- Nervous system problems.
- Decreased urine output
- Drowsiness, headache, or back pain
- Aggressive behavior
- Unsteady or shaky movements
- Speech problems
- Loss of consciousness.
Treatment for a Valtrex OverdoseThe treatment for a Valtrex overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may use certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Valtrex overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs.