Herpes Home > Treatment Guidelines for Valtrex and Side Effects
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take this medication include the following:
- The drug comes in caplet form. Depending on the type of infection, it is usually taken one, two, or three times a day.
- It works best if started at the very first signs of an outbreak. It may not work if taken too late.
- Valtrex can be taken with or without food.
- It should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For Valtrex to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
Side Effects of ValtrexAs with any medicine, there are possible side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate the drug quite well. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain)
- Painful menstrual periods
- Depression (see Valtrex and Depression)
- Joint pain
- Increased liver enzymes.