Herpes Home > Valtrex Side Effects
Although most people tolerate Valtrex without problems, side effects may still occur. Possible side effects include headaches, nausea, and depression. These side effects are usually minor and easily treated. However, some side effects of Valtrex should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider, such as decreased urination, vision changes, or an unexplained skin rash. Rare side effects include diarrhea, hair loss, or kidney failure.
An Introduction to Valtrex Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Valtrex® (valacyclovir hydrochloride). However, not everyone who takes this drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Valtrex
- Headache -- occurring in up to 38 percent of people
- Nausea -- in up to 15 percent
- Abdominal pain (or stomach pain) -- in up to 11 percent
- Painful menstrual periods -- in up to 8 percent
- Depression -- in up to 7 percent (see Valtrex and Depression)
- Vomiting -- in up to 6 percent
- Joint pain -- in up to 6 percent
- Increased liver enzymes -- in up to 4.1 percent
- Dizziness -- in up to 4 percent.