Regardless of how old you are or how much you weigh, dosing with Xerese is the same for everyone. As soon as you feel the early signs of a cold sore, start using it by applying a thin layer to the affected area five times a day for five days. Make sure not to bathe, shower, or swim for at least 30 minutes after applying it.
There is only one standard recommended dose of Xerese™ (acyclovir and hydrocortisone), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual recommended dose of Xerese for the treatment of cold sores is a small amount applied to the affected area five times a day for five days. Xerese should be started at the first signs of an outbreak. Therefore, it may be best to have a tube on hand so you can begin using it right away when you first feel a cold sore coming on. The sooner you start using Xerese, the better it will work.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Xerese include the following:
- Xerese is normally applied to the affected area five times a day for five days. Use a thin layer, and cover the entire affected area, including the outer edge of the cold sore.
- This medication should only be used on the lips or around the mouth. Do not use it inside the eye, mouth, or nose, or on the genitals.
- This medicine works best if started at the first signs of a cold sore (tingling, redness, itching).
- Gently wash and dry the area around the cold sore before applying a Xerese dosage. Also wash your hands before and after using the medicine to help prevent spreading the infection or getting Xerese in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Try not to touch or rub your cold sore. This could irritate the skin, making the cold sore worse, or spread the infection to other areas of your mouth or lips.
- Do not cover your cold sore with a bandage while using Xerese. Doing so may cause irritation.
- Do not bathe, shower, or swim for at least 30 minutes after applying the cream.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Xerese will not work better or faster if you apply more than prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Xerese dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.