Although an overdose of Xerese (acyclovir and hydrocortisone) is possible, it is an unlikely scenario with normal use. If you apply too much of this medication, you may experience problems such as skin redness, flakiness, or discomfort. A large oral overdose could lead to symptoms like nausea and vomiting, since more of the medicine could reach the bloodstream when taken by mouth.
Xerese™ (acyclovir and hydrocortisone) is a prescription medication approved to treat cold sores. This drug can reduce the risk of a cold sore getting worse and reduce the time it takes for the cold sore to heal. Xerese contains two active ingredients: acyclovir (an antiviral that fights the infection) and hydrocortisone (a corticosteroid that reduces inflammation).
As with most medications, it is probably possible to use too much Xerese. An overdose is unlikely, however, with normal use. The specific effects of an overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Xerese was used, how it was used (applied to the skin or taken by mouth), and whether it was taken with any other medicines or drugs.
Applying too much Xerese (or applying it too often) may result in skin irritation, such as redness, flakiness, or discomfort. Other symptoms are unlikely because very little of the medicine is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream.
Taking a large Xerese dosage by mouth could cause overdose symptoms such as:
More serious symptoms are unlikely, since it would take significant doses (more than the amounts found in a tube of Xerese) to cause significant overdose symptoms.