Zovirax Cream Overdose
A Zovirax cream overdose is unlikely to occur if the medication is used properly. If a person does accidentally take a large dose of the medication by mouth, overdose symptoms can include seizures, lethargy, and agitation. However, the specific effects of the Zovirax cream overdose will depend on how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with other medicines or alcohol.
Zovirax Cream Overdose: An OverviewZovirax® cream (acyclovir cream) is a prescription antiviral medication that is used to treat cold sores. As with all medicines, it is possible for a person to take too much Zovirax cream. An overdose, however, is unlikely if the medication is used properly. The specific effects of an overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Zovirax cream was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, drugs, and alcohol.
Symptoms of a Zovirax Cream OverdoseIf a person uses too much Zovirax on the skin, there will probably be no overdose symptoms (and no problems), as only a small amount of the medication is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream. However, if a person inadvertently takes a large dose of Zovirax cream by mouth, overdose symptoms may be possible. These symptoms of a Zovirax cream overdose might include:
- Kidney damage.
However, an entire tube of Zovirax cream contains only a small amount of acyclovir (the active ingredient). It would probably take several tubes of Zovirax cream (taken by mouth) to cause any overdose symptoms.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Zovirax cream.