Zovirax Cream Warnings and Precautions
Zovirax cream warnings and precautions include the safety of using the medication when pregnant or breastfeeding and knowing that the medication is not meant to be used to treat genital herpes or herpes infections of the eye. You should also remember that the medicine will not prevent future outbreaks. Zovirax cream warnings and precautions also extend to those who have certain allergies.
Zovirax Cream: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Zovirax® cream (acyclovir cream) if you:
- Have any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Specific Zovirax Cream Warnings and PrecautionsWarnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking Zovirax cream include the following:
- The medication is not intended for use in the eyes, and should not be used to treat herpes infections of the eye. It should only be used on the lips and skin of the face. Do not use it inside the mouth or nose. Also, Zovirax cream is not approved to treat genital herpes.
- There is no evidence that Zovirax cream prevents the spread of cold sores to other people. Also, the medication will not help prevent an outbreak of cold sores.
- Zovirax cream should be started as soon as possible after the first signs of an outbreak, as it is most effective when taken early in the course of the infection.
- Zovirax cream is considered a pregnancy Category B medication. This means that it is probably safe for use during pregnancy. Talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of using the drug while pregnant (see Zovirax Cream and Pregnancy).
- It is unlikely that Zovirax cream applied to the skin can pass through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Zovirax Cream and Breastfeeding).