What Is the Normal Zovirax Amount?
Genital Herpes Suppression
For preventing future outbreaks of genital herpes, the recommended dose is Zovirax 400 mg twice daily for up to one year. After one year, you should visit your healthcare provider to decide whether to continue Zovirax.
The recommended dose of Zovirax for treating chickenpox in children age two and over is based on weight. The recommended dose is Zovirax 20 mg per kg (about 9 mg per pound) four times per day for five days. For children weighing more than 88 pounds and for adults, the recommended dose is Zovirax 800 mg four times a day for five days.
Considerations for people taking Zovirax include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of tablets, capsules, and a suspension (oral liquid). Zovirax injection (used for more serious herpes infections), cream, and ointment are also available (see Zovirax Cream and Zovirax Ointment).
- Zovirax can be taken with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- If you have kidney disease (such as kidney failure), your healthcare provider may need to prescribe a lower Zovirax dosage.
- Be sure to shake the liquid form of Zovirax thoroughly before each dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Make sure to take Zovirax as prescribed by your healthcare provider.